8/7/12

CREATIVE SUGAR with Veronica Funk


I started my weekly blog series CREATIVE SUGAR  to promote positivity and provide a platform for everyone to share their unique stories, knowledge and experiences, showcasing the beauty, connection, and inspiration that exists in our every day.


This week on CREATIVE SUGAR, I'm delighted to share inspiration from artist Veronica Funk  (Airdrie, Alberta, Canada).


What’s the greatest advice you’ve been given?

The best advice I've been given was by an artist by the name of Margaret Vanderhaege who told me that as a professional artist I would find that there would be times that people would want to see and buy my work and then things would get quiet - but to keep painting for the pleasure of it as, eventually, those people would come back and if I had nothing new to share, they would never return again.  Just do what you do for the pure joy of it.


What’s some not-so-great advice you’ve been given?

A painting instructor in college told me that I could never have a family if I wanted to be considered a professional artist - and, yet, it is my children that have taught me to enjoy vibrant color.


Story
I’ve always felt ‘different’. Though I got along well with others, I was skinny, small, shy, and then I received my first pair of glasses in sixth grade at a time when glasses were not fashionable at all. 

In our language arts class, one area in which I actually excelled until I had to make a public presentation, we created maquettes of the theatres that were utilized during the time of Shakespeare, and we listened to the beauty of the words in the ballads of the Beatles and Bob Dylan. We were taught to stitch, bake and knit and had the pleasure of meeting cartoonists, weavers, poets, photographers, and musicians.

Hours disappeared as I was exposed to a great variety of art and craft, and to the kindness of the artists and artisans who created them. Then, in eleventh grade, we moved across the country which was a challenge at that age, but because I was in a larger school, I was able to study drafting, fashion design and ultimately fine art, beginning the formal study of line, composition and colour, and was introduced to a great variety of media including clay, printmaking, ink, and paint. I was finally in my element. 

As I grew up I was often told that I would not be able to make a living as an artist and as a ‘growing-up’ I have learned otherwise.  Originally I followed the direction of others at a huge financial and spiritual cost to me but I have realized that each one of us needs to create our own path by doing those things we love.  I have learned that others respond to the passion of my heart and support me in this journey as long as I remain authentic and true to the core of my being.  



(all images courtesy of Veronica Funk)



.......................................


if you are interested in submitting your inspiration for CREATIVE SUGAR, find guidelines and details here

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the message in this one. It's something very relevant to my current situation.
    I am loving this whole blog series really. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I was told by my art school instructor to never get married period. I thought that was so bleak. I did marry, and frankly wouldn't be where I am today without the support of my guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love her work! So colorfully bold! They all look so welcoming and comfortable. Great story Juliette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE these sofa/chairs paintings. I've been pondering how to make some myself as I've been so inspired by Van Gogh's two chair paintings. They're still life yet portrait painting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to say hello and ask questions. I would be delighted to hear from you! xo -juliette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...